Socal Watercraft Club Forums  

Go Back   Socal Watercraft Club Forums > Rides and Reports > Places to ride

Old 05-27-2008, 08:51 AM
Visitor

Default Lake Isabella

I went to Isabella maybe 10 years ago with a group of friends but I don't remember much about it. I'm hoping someone can help me. I remember leaving our campsite and driving to the launch ramp. By buddy then rode his skis across the lake and we drove the truck around. We ended up at a location where we were able to beach our skis and pull our truck right up to the beached area. Does anyone where that could've been??

OR, if any of you frequent Isabella, can you please give me some details as to the best place to camp with the family and where to lauch/beach at?

Thanks

Last edited by 15fer; 05-29-2008 at 02:29 PM.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:22 AM
Club Member

#1 - Most popular for camping/overnight, crowded, best/largest sandy beach, paved ramp
#2 - Multiple small sandy beaches you can camp & launch & a paved ramp, quiet/not crowded, my favorite.
#3 - No beach, weedy/muddy, no ramp, good for fishing/camping, but need 4WD to launch
#4 - Coarse sandy beach, no paved ramp but not so muddy.
#5 - About same as #4.

Gets very windy in the afternoon sometimes, 3' waves. I was at the far north end of the lake and was trying to get back to my staging area #2 and got almost drowned on a stand up last year...
Chaz - AWA #80101394
I'm here to help Kawi riders!
Gotta Love Life while at it!

Last edited by Kawiski; 05-27-2008 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:28 PM

Isabella is an interesting lake, you just have to be prepared to deal with some wind in the afternoon. We rode there a couple times and really enjoyed the laid back feel of that lake. We actually did launch from the shore which I normally don't do with my 2wd rig but it was safe there. I carefully walked the area before backing in.

I did talk with some guys at Pyramid who recently rode Isabella and they said the water level is still pretty low.

I added my marker to kawiski's map. I'm "pretty" sure I tagged the right place, if not, I'm only off by 1 cove. I'd agree that the area next to Kawiski's #2 pointer is a good place to setup beach camp.

2003 R-12X - Macsboost #53 + Intercooler, Solas 17/29, Boarding step
AWA Member since 2003
Old 05-27-2008, 09:54 PM

Now that's what I called a picture worth 10,000 words and very details on the map.
Very nice lake, I usually passed that area in the winter on my way up
to Eastern Sierra on Highway 395.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:29 PM
Visitor

Very very cool, thanks for the great replies. Another question, area #2, the beach camping, that's strictly first come first serve with no fees and no marked campsites, correct? Is #2 French Gulch, Pioneer point, or the Main Dam Campground??
Old 05-30-2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15fer View Post
Another question, area #2, the beach camping, that's strictly first come first serve with no fees and no marked campsites, correct? Is #2 French Gulch, Pioneer point, or the Main Dam Campground??
Yes, the spots we showed are beach areas, not "proper" camping sites. As such it's on a first come basis. The places you named are "proper" campgrounds which require reservations etc. They are a bit further from the shore line.

I do not know all the regulations that pertain to the beach sites, but in general that lake is pretty laid back with little enforcement activities.
2003 R-12X - Macsboost #53 + Intercooler, Solas 17/29, Boarding step
AWA Member since 2003
Old 05-30-2008, 11:55 AM
Club Member

Yep, laid back is the right term there. For a whole day I saw only one time the patrol boat patrolling the lake in the late afternoon when it got real choppy. On the land, I saw no patrol all day all day. But you should still buy the $15 3-day pass for each of your ski (no single day pass). That was last year.
BTW, watch out for submerged rocks near the shores that you can't see. Stay away and be extremely watchful. My ski bottom got banged by one... I had to patch up.
Chaz - AWA #80101394
I'm here to help Kawi riders!
Gotta Love Life while at it!

Old 05-30-2008, 04:13 PM
Visitor

Thanks for all the replies. Unfortunately, I will not be camping in the open areas. I'm taking the kids and an expectant wife so restrooms/showers/running water will be a must. I called up there and talked to the lady. She said Paradise Cove will be my best bet overall with the ramp nearby and a view of the lake from the camp sites... She said the only thing I need to worry about are the winds blowing the tent away...
Old 04-01-2009, 03:13 AM
Visitor

Location: Lancaster, California ( about an hour north of L.A.)
Exclamation Tilly Creek

Paradise Cove is a No-No. they charge for showers there, and no power connections to pump up air matresses. bugs galore, no shade, really bad wind. Try Tilly Creek great for the kids even has a small park with swings a merry go round and such. They have a staging area where astronomers come out on clear days to veiw the stars and hold a pretty nice open public audience informative meeting thin, cool for the kids. Great camping spot. no charge chowers, hot water, and power outlets in the bathrooms as well, for cofee makers, or what have you... Also has a marina nearby, and a good concrete launch ramp, as well as many places near ramp to just launch from land, I've been to Isabella alot, one of my favorite places, Tilly creek, is where I will always go.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:41 AM
AWA Member

I miss Isabella. I haven't been since around 2002. Some pics...

wind storm... this is near "1" on the above map.